Thursday, October 13, 2005

God might be offended

When our kindergarten teacher told us about the Ten Commandments, I was quite intrigued to learn that we were not meant to create a picture of God. I always had a distinct image of God in my head, but I never had the desire to actually draw a picture of it until then. But when I realised this was something forbidden, I started to feel an irresistible desire to do it.

One day, I talked to my girlfriend and convinced her to draw a picture of God. I felt quite naughty, but I needed to get it out of my way. My girlfriend didn’t really know how to picture God, but in my head he looked something like a big round moon face up in the sky. I drew a paddock with a fence and a blue sky with a big moon face in it. The face looked a bit like a pig and I was worried God might be offended. My girlfriend just copied my drawing and we ended up with two pigs in the sky. When our kindergarten teacher asked us about the pictures, we were embarrassed and giggled nervously. She was quite a religious woman and when she heard our explanations, she shook her head in disgust about the blasphemy of the two little girls. She obviously realised straight away that this was all my evil idea and kept on giving me this concerned look for the next few days. I’m sure she thought I had the devil in me.