Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The darkness after forever


I remember lying in bed at night, not being able to sleep because I was worrying. There was this one thing that really bothered me and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I had asked my mother how long the world was going to go on for and she had told me “forever”. The concept of forever was something I just could not grasp and it was driving me crazy. I tried to imagine the longest period of time I could think of and at the end of it, the same period of time again and then again. But this was still nowhere near forever. I was wondering, would there be anything after forever? I imagined this huge universe full of blackness at the end of the world and wondered what it would be like to fall into it. I would have been quite young then, lying in bed, looking at the light brown wooden ceiling of my room and getting scared about forever. I was glad I was not going to be alive anymore when this forever time was over, but I felt bad for the people who would be. Sometimes I was so worried that I couldn’t sleep for hours.